- No more updates to The Spammers' Compendium or Anti-spam Tool League Table pages. These remain on line, but are not being maintained.
- I'm looking for a new leader for the POPFile project.
- I'm no longer active on any anti-spam mailing lists.
- I am leaving all anti-spam conference committees.
- My anti-spam newsletter is no longer being published.
The obvious question is why? For me, the interest just isn't there. The battle against spam continues but is now about trench warfare rather than creating new weapons. We'll continue to see innovation, but for any hacker it's the new, new thing that's important. For me, spam is yesterday's news. Watching companies squabble and refuse to cooperate, seeing a decline in quality at anti-spam conferences, and major companies essentially killing their consumer anti-spam means anti-spam just isn't where I want to be.
Of course, there are many really good people fighting spam out there. This post isn't meant to demean them.
Thank you to everyone who has supported what I've done over the last 7 years, and good luck!