Tuesday, November 09, 2010

CRUTEM3 Curiosity

Working through some old code tonight I decided to take a look at the errors that Ilya Goz and I discovered in the calculation of CRUTEM3 station errors (here's the confirmation from Met Office of the errors).

My original detailed post on the problem was written on February 7, 2010 and the confirmation from the Met Office came on April 15, 2010.

I downloaded the latest release of CRUTEM3 data from here and reran my little test program on the three example errors I gave in my original post. Inside the file it is reported as having been generated on Thu Oct 14 15:42:43 BST 2010 and the associated text file has date Fri Oct 15 2010 20:07.

Oddly, the errors remain. In the intervening nine months the Met Office appears to have acknowledged the errors but not corrected them.

1 comment:

ZT said...

The immense pressure of FOI requests, and the need to constantly publish copy-and-paste papers, reduced the priority of having the code correct.

Less sarcastically, this kind of apparent lethargy is what happens when you don't know about:
1) Revision control
2) Automated testing
3) Bug tracking

(They should put in a grant application for training in these areas - afterall the future of the world depends on it - or so they say).