Skip to main content

Mobile subscriber leakage in HTTP headers in the wild

At the end of January mobile phone company O2 admitted that because of a technical failure it had been leaking the mobile phone numbers of people who browsed using their phones on the O2 network. The phone numbers were being leaked to the web sites people visited.

On that day I set up logging on jgc.org to see if the same thing happened again, and to gather information on in the wild leakage of phone numbers in HTTP headers. The bottom line is that in a month of gathering data I've seen phone numbers sent to my server likely without the person browsing knowing.

The most common headers I've seen are MSISDN and X-MSISDN. Both seem to contain the phone's MSISDN (i.e number). About 1 in every 22,000 visits to the site had the MSISDN header in it with something that looked like a valid phone number.

Another common header was X-UP-SUBNO which AT&T apparently adds. This contains a unique identifier for the subscriber. A typical X-UP-SUBNO in my log files looks like: T_ILL_CHI_1311xxxxxx00010xxxxxxx or T_DLS_DFW_1283xxxxxx00010xxxxxxx (I have replaced some numbers with x to preserve the visitor's privacy). About 1 in every 3,000 visits to jgc.org had a unique AT&T identifier in it. This doesn't appear to be the phone number.

One mobile visitor in the last month had headers called X-UP-SUBSCRIBER-COS, X-OPWV-DDM-HTTPMISCDD, X-OPWV-DDM-IDENTITY, X-OPWV-DDM-SUBSCRIBER. Between them they were full of base 64 encoded data containing details of what appeared to be the plans the subscriber was on (mobileGenericPlan, Vodacom, mobilePushEnabledPlan). And there were a variety of identifiers for the subscriber, device and 'station id'.

Then there were a bunch of headers apparently added by Sprint PCS containing a CLIENTID encoded with base 64. And Vodafone seemed to be injecting big chunks of base64 in an X-VF-ACR header.

It's hard to see why these headers should be sent all the way to the origin web server.

PS While looking at the headers the most WTF I came across were the headers X_MTI_USERNAME, X_MTI_EMAIL and X_MTI_EMPID which appeared to be giving the username, email address and employee ID(?) of someone at a company called Meyer Tool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your last name contains invalid characters

My last name is "Graham-Cumming". But here's a typical form response when I enter it:


Does the web site have any idea how rude it is to claim that my last name contains invalid characters? Clearly not. What they actually meant is: our web site will not accept that hyphen in your last name. But do they say that? No, of course not. They decide to shove in my face the claim that there's something wrong with my name.

There's nothing wrong with my name, just as there's nothing wrong with someone whose first name is Jean-Marie, or someone whose last name is O'Reilly.

What is wrong is that way this is being handled. If the system can't cope with non-letters and spaces it needs to say that. How about the following error message:

Our system is unable to process last names that contain non-letters, please replace them with spaces.

Don't blame me for having a last name that your system doesn't like, whose fault is that? Saying "Your last name …

All the symmetrical watch faces (and code to generate them)

If you ever look at pictures of clocks and watches in advertising they are set to roughly 10:10 which is meant to be the most attractive (smiling!) position for the hands. They are actually set to 10:09.14 if the hands are truly symmetrical. CC BY 2.0image by Shinji
I wanted to know what all the possible symmetrical watch faces are and so I wrote some code using Processing. Here's the output (there's one watch face missing, 00:00 or 12:00, because it's very boring):



The key to writing this is to figure out the relationship between the hour and minute hands when the watch face is symmetrical. In an hour the minute hand moves through 360° and the hour hand moves through 30° (12 hours are shown on the watch face and 360/12 = 30).
The core loop inside the program is this:   for (int h = 0; h <= 12; h++) {
    float m = (360-30*float(h))*2/13;
    int s = round(60*(m-floor(m)));
    int col = h%6;
    int row = floor(h/6);
    draw_clock((r+f)*(2*col+1), (r+f)*(row*2+1), r, h, floor(m…

Importing an existing SSL key/certificate pair into a Java keystore

I'm writing this blog post in case anyone else has to Google that. In Java 6 keytool has been improved so that it now becomes possible to import an existing key and certificate (say one you generated outside of the Java world) into a keystore.

You need: Java 6 and openssl.

1. Suppose you have a certificate and key in PEM format. The key is named host.key and the certificate host.crt.

2. The first step is to convert them into a single PKCS12 file using the command: openssl pkcs12 -export -in host.crt -inkey host.key > host.p12. You will be asked for various passwords (the password to access the key (if set) and then the password for the PKCS12 file being created).

3. Then import the PKCS12 file into a keystore using the command: keytool -importkeystore -srckeystore host.p12 -destkeystore host.jks -srcstoretype pkcs12. You now have a keystore named host.jks containing the certificate/key you need.

For the sake of completeness here's the output of a full session I performe…